Well, my manager has just assigned me the task to monitor IBM Power Servers using IBM Systems Director 6.1 for one of our larger clients. Although I would not call my self an expert when it comes to IBM Power Server, I have an adequate knowledge when it comes to IBM Systems Director. As I have been searching across the web, I have came across a nice set of IBM Videos by Nigel (Big thanks to Nigel) which show exactly how to monitor & manage IBM Power Servers using IBM Systems Director. I was able to use the same techniques to carry out my installation, so I thought I will share them here with my readers. I am hoping it will save you some research time & will easily educate you of IBM Systems Director if you are searching for a monitoring tool for your IBM Power Server, but still don’t have the budget for Tivoli which you are budgeting for next year.
You will start by installing IBM Systems Director 6. Although you don’t have to install it on Power Series & you can use any existing IBM System Director 6 to manage your Power Series, but as we are focusing here on AIX the video below show how to setup IBM Director 6 on AIX.
After Installing IBM Director 6, you will have to install the IBM Director 6 Common Agent on the partitions you want to monitor as showing in the video below.
Please note these video has been originally made available for download on http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/display/WikiPtype/Movies. For a larger resolution & better visibility of these videos you might want to download them from there.
I hope this help. Please leave your feedback in the comments area below.
One Response to 'Managing IBM Power Server using IBM Systems Director 6'
Leave a Reply
Eiad Al-Aqqad, VCDX#89
VMware Canada PSO
- Backup Solutions (3)
- Blades (2)
- IBM Blades (2)
- Data Migration (2)
- EMC (1)
- VPLEX (1)
- How to (1)
- Management Software (5)
- Problem resolutions (0)
- Storage (21)
- Tips & Tricks (7)
- Tivoli (22)
- Tutorials (11)
- VMware (6)
- Iwan: hi… I can not re-install smi-s agent on server windows 2003, I`ve been search the registry but still...
- sindhu: hello sir,i am doing my b.tech 3rd year (e.c.e) i am intrested in doing this tsm course .is this course will...
- CR7: Hi EIAD, I couldnt figure out where to post this doubt of mine, so im just posting it here.Please help out if...
- Errol: I’m using a clean install of windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with the latest build of Thinapp 5.1.0-2079447....
- arun: Is that tsm is growing and good field
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Should Virtual Tape Library have a place in your backup strategy?
- Tivoli TSM guide to securing VMware: IBM Tivoli Storage Manager & VMware Consiledated Backup (VCB) I hope these...
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: TSM
- Should Virtual Tape Library have a place in your backup strategy?
- Symantec Backup Exec StarWind Virtual Tape Library Integration
- Comparing Online Backup Services
- Veeam & PHD Virtual comparison
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager support for VADP
- StarWind is Named a Finalist in The Storage Awards 2012
- PHD Virtual Monitor Review
- vSphere manual Disaster Recovery failback when using VMware SRM
- Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN