In Part I, you have learned how to Install IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 5.5 on Windows. In Part II in here, you will learn how to initialize & carry out the initial tune up of IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 5.5 on Windows.
Initialize IBM TSM 5.5 Server:
1- Select Start => All programs => Tivoli Storage Manager => Management Console
2- Choose standard configuration => hit start to do the Define environment setup & answer the questions of the wizard
3- After the define environment setup finish just hit start again to do the rest of the wizards (Configure performance – Server Initialization – Configure Devices – Configure Nodes) and answer the questions according to your environment.
Tune & Verify your server Options:
The below changes are to obtain a better performance of your TSM server. If you don’t get what each of these tuning options means at the moment don’t worry. I will cover them later on in a chapter of performance tuning.
1- Stop your server service from TSM Management console as follow:
Start Menu => Tivoli Storage Manager => Management Console
Tivoli Storage Manager => Your Server Name => TSM Server 1 => Reports => Service information
Right click your server instance shown in the service information panel then hit stop.
2- Open your server option file from c:\program files\Tivoli\tsm\server\dsmserv.opt
3- Change the server options file by adding the sharedmem option and change the value of the TXNGroupmax & LOGPoolsize similar to below:
4- Save changes and close the file
5- Restart the TSM Server services
Start Menu => Tivoli Storage Manager => Management Console => Tivoli Storage Manager => Your Server Name => TSM Server 1 => Reports => Service information
Right click your server instance shown in the service information panel then hit start.
6 Responses to 'Initialize & Tune IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 5.5 on Windows (Day4 – Part II)'
Leave a Reply
Eiad Al-Aqqad, VCDX#89
VMware Canada PSO
- Backup Solutions (3)
- Blades (2)
- IBM Blades (2)
- Data Migration (2)
- EMC (1)
- VPLEX (1)
- How to (1)
- Management Software (5)
- Problem resolutions (0)
- Storage (21)
- Tips & Tricks (7)
- Tivoli (22)
- Tutorials (11)
- VMware (6)
- Iwan: hi… I can not re-install smi-s agent on server windows 2003, I`ve been search the registry but still...
- sindhu: hello sir,i am doing my b.tech 3rd year (e.c.e) i am intrested in doing this tsm course .is this course will...
- CR7: Hi EIAD, I couldnt figure out where to post this doubt of mine, so im just posting it here.Please help out if...
- Errol: I’m using a clean install of windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with the latest build of Thinapp 5.1.0-2079447....
- arun: Is that tsm is growing and good field
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Should Virtual Tape Library have a place in your backup strategy?
- Tivoli TSM guide to securing VMware: IBM Tivoli Storage Manager & VMware Consiledated Backup (VCB) I hope these...
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: TSM
- Should Virtual Tape Library have a place in your backup strategy?
- Symantec Backup Exec StarWind Virtual Tape Library Integration
- Comparing Online Backup Services
- Veeam & PHD Virtual comparison
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager support for VADP
- StarWind is Named a Finalist in The Storage Awards 2012
- PHD Virtual Monitor Review
- vSphere manual Disaster Recovery failback when using VMware SRM
- Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN