You might get into the situation where you have to quickly clone your production database to a different server for some release management. In most situations, you will not be able to take that database down, neither have the time to do backup & restore so online transaction consistent database cloning will be a great tool for you. The capability of IBM VDS & DS8000 FlashCopy & vShadow with a bit of scripting can provide you with just that. Below is a small batch files with explanation which can do just that.
======== fcm.bat ========
del bc1.xml sc1.cmd
C:\fcm\vshadow.exe -p -t=bc1.xml -script=sc1.cmd d: l:
echo c:\fcm\fcmmount.bat >> sc1.cmd
copy c:\fcm\bc1.xml \\SQLsrv01_POC\C$\fcm /y
copy c:\fcm\sc1.cmd \\SQLsrv01_POC\C$\fcm /y
copy c:\fcm\fcmmount.bat \\SQLsrv01_POC\C$\fcm /y
copy c:\fcm\fcmremote.bat \\sqlsrv01_poc\c$\fcm /y
c:\fcm\psexec.exe \\sqlsrv01_poc c:\fcm\fcmremote.bat
======== fcmremote.bat ========
======== fcmmount.bat ========
In order for the script above to work you have to create the three batch files with the same names shown above each. In addition, you will have to put them in the folder c:\fcm on the source server with the vshadow executable. You will have to create a c:\fcm on the target server with vshadow executable in it. As well the username it’s executed under must have access on the target server & be able to write to the c:\fcm folder on the remote server.
- The script above start by deleting old configuration files & then it creates a transportable shadow copy of the d: & l: drives. Its then import these shadow copies under a different server called SQLsrv01 as mount points under the F drive F:\sql & F:\logs
If you have any problem using the above scripts, please leave a comment & I will be more than happy to follow up on it.
One Response to '8.3. Microsoft vShadow Transaction Consistent Database Cloning to a different server'
Leave a Reply
Eiad Al-Aqqad, VCDX#89
VMware Canada PSO
- Backup Solutions (3)
- Blades (2)
- IBM Blades (2)
- Data Migration (2)
- EMC (1)
- VPLEX (1)
- How to (1)
- Management Software (5)
- Problem resolutions (0)
- Storage (21)
- Tips & Tricks (7)
- Tivoli (22)
- Tutorials (11)
- VMware (6)
- Iwan: hi… I can not re-install smi-s agent on server windows 2003, I`ve been search the registry but still...
- sindhu: hello sir,i am doing my b.tech 3rd year (e.c.e) i am intrested in doing this tsm course .is this course will...
- CR7: Hi EIAD, I couldnt figure out where to post this doubt of mine, so im just posting it here.Please help out if...
- Errol: I’m using a clean install of windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with the latest build of Thinapp 5.1.0-2079447....
- arun: Is that tsm is growing and good field
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Should Virtual Tape Library have a place in your backup strategy?
- Tivoli TSM guide to securing VMware: IBM Tivoli Storage Manager & VMware Consiledated Backup (VCB) I hope these...
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: TSM
- Should Virtual Tape Library have a place in your backup strategy?
- Symantec Backup Exec StarWind Virtual Tape Library Integration
- Comparing Online Backup Services
- Veeam & PHD Virtual comparison
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager support for VADP
- StarWind is Named a Finalist in The Storage Awards 2012
- PHD Virtual Monitor Review
- vSphere manual Disaster Recovery failback when using VMware SRM
- Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN