You might get into the situation where you have to quickly clone your production database to the same server for some release management. In most situations, you will not be able to take that database down, neither have the time to do backup & restore so online transaction consistent database cloning will be a great tool for you. The capability of IBM VDS & DS8000 FlashCopy & vShadow with a bit of scripting can provide you with just that. Below is a small batch file with explanation which can do just that.
del bc1.xml sc1.cmd
C:\fcm2\vshadow.exe -p -t=bc1.xml -script=sc1.cmd y:
echo c:\fcm2\fcmmount.bat >> sc1.cmd
In order for the script above to work you have to create the two batch files with the same names shown above each. In addition, you will have to put them in the folder c:\fcm2 with the vshadow executable.
The above batch files will delete the old parameters files, then will create a transportable shadow copy of the LUN for Drive Y:. It will import the Y: Drive FlashCopy as a mount point called mytest under the D:\ drive. As soon the batch file finish executing you will be able to mount the database under a different name. The whole process can finish in just few minutes compared to many hours, when using traditional methods.
Please if you have any problems using the above scripts, leave me a comment & I will be more than happy to follow up on it.
Leave a Reply
Eiad Al-Aqqad, VCDX#89
VMware Canada PSO
- Backup Solutions (3)
- Blades (2)
- IBM Blades (2)
- Data Migration (2)
- EMC (1)
- VPLEX (1)
- How to (1)
- Management Software (5)
- Problem resolutions (0)
- Storage (21)
- Tips & Tricks (7)
- Tivoli (22)
- Tutorials (11)
- VMware (6)
- Iwan: hi… I can not re-install smi-s agent on server windows 2003, I`ve been search the registry but still...
- sindhu: hello sir,i am doing my b.tech 3rd year (e.c.e) i am intrested in doing this tsm course .is this course will...
- CR7: Hi EIAD, I couldnt figure out where to post this doubt of mine, so im just posting it here.Please help out if...
- Errol: I’m using a clean install of windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with the latest build of Thinapp 5.1.0-2079447....
- arun: Is that tsm is growing and good field
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Should Virtual Tape Library have a place in your backup strategy?
- Tivoli TSM guide to securing VMware: IBM Tivoli Storage Manager & VMware Consiledated Backup (VCB) I hope these...
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: TSM
- Should Virtual Tape Library have a place in your backup strategy?
- Symantec Backup Exec StarWind Virtual Tape Library Integration
- Comparing Online Backup Services
- Veeam & PHD Virtual comparison
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager support for VADP
- StarWind is Named a Finalist in The Storage Awards 2012
- PHD Virtual Monitor Review
- vSphere manual Disaster Recovery failback when using VMware SRM
- Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN