A question that frequently come up by TSM Admins that “how to move Nodes to a new Domain?” This is usually the case when you had grouped several nodes under one domain then you needed to change the backup policies for few of them, so you find out the need to move these few nodes to a new policy Domain. Below is a high view of the steps to Move Nodes to a new TSM Domain:
1. Define the following… New Policy domain, policy set, related sequential and copy stgpools, management class(es), copy group(s)
2. Assign new management class as default management class
3. Validate and activate new policy set
4. Update node to reflect domain change
5. Update associated client backup jobs by copying the old schedule(s) to new domain, update new schedule(s) accordingly, associate copied schedule(s) to updated nodes, delete old schedule(s) from old domain.
6. Run a move nodedata specifying from=old_sequential_stgpool to=the_new_one
7. Run a backup stgpool from the new seq. stgpool to the new copy stgpool.
8. Take into account the new stgpool in any admin schedules or scripts you have set up.
9. Recall copy stgpool tapes for old domain, or let the data expire off. You can, if you so desire, after recalling the tapes, move nodedata to scratch tape and delete the volume when complete with discard=yes.
Please leave me a comment if you had a success or a failure following these steps .
14 Responses to 'TSM – Moving Nodes to a new Domain'
Leave a Reply
Eiad Al-Aqqad, VCDX#89
VMware Canada PSO
- Backup Solutions (3)
- Blades (2)
- IBM Blades (2)
- Data Migration (2)
- EMC (1)
- VPLEX (1)
- How to (1)
- Management Software (5)
- Problem resolutions (0)
- Storage (19)
- Tips & Tricks (7)
- Tivoli (22)
- Tutorials (11)
- VMware (6)
- admin: Hi Khagendra, TSM is a great product if backup and recovery and data management is your thing. I know some...
- vel: Best to learn for beginners. Deep and good info
- khagendra: hi admin can you tell me……what is the tsm tool..and tsm feature and growth…i am learning...
- khagendra: Hi admin.. I am confusing in my life..because i don’t know about TSM TOOL..my brother was told, you...
- khagendra: hi….admin…i am completed b.tech in 2013(c.s.e), i did 10 months searching for freshers...
- Tivoli TSM guide to securing VMware: IBM Tivoli Storage Manager & VMware Consiledated Backup (VCB) I hope these...
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: TSM
- How to Videos: Install IBM Systems Director 6 Common Agent on AIX | How to Install IBM Systems Director 6 Common...
- Comparing Online Backup Services
- Veeam & PHD Virtual comparison
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager support for VADP
- StarWind is Named a Finalist in The Storage Awards 2012
- PHD Virtual Monitor Review
- vSphere manual Disaster Recovery failback when using VMware SRM
- Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN
- PHD Virtual Backup and Replication for VMware vSphere Review
- VMware ThinAPP Antivirus Best Practices