Ok this might sound to be a silly task, but when you need to perform it, you might get frustrated. Actually several times we had to move or reassign disks to a different node/filer in our IBM Nseries Cluster. If you are not aware of the IBM Nseries then all I need to tell you its a Netapp box oemed as IBM. So again this post apply to N-Series as well Netapp clustered filers.
You might want to reassign a disk to a different N-Series Controller or Netapp filler what ever your vendor want to call it as long its running a data Ontap then the procedure is the same. When I first thought of this, I thought it will be something like disk unassign on the filler to remove the disk from. Then assign it on the other filer. Though it seems no command disk unassign is there. Trying all around the place then calling the IBM support we figured out the following is what need to be done.
On the filer or the gateway to remove the disk or the LUNs from run the below command:
disk remove -w <Disk Name>
Then on the filer or the gateway to add the disk or the LUN to run the below command:
Disk Assign <disk name>
Ah I hope this help some one avoid having too look for so long for how to do this tedius task .
Please leave a comment if this work for you, as we like to hear your success stories or let us know if for some reason it did not work with the certain model or Ontap version you are running.
4 Responses to 'Netapp / Nseries How to assign disks to a different filer in a cluster'
Leave a Reply
Eiad Al-Aqqad, VCDX#89
VMware Canada PSO
- Backup Solutions (3)
- Blades (2)
- IBM Blades (2)
- Data Migration (2)
- EMC (1)
- VPLEX (1)
- How to (1)
- Management Software (5)
- Problem resolutions (0)
- Storage (21)
- Tips & Tricks (7)
- Tivoli (22)
- Tutorials (11)
- VMware (6)
- Iwan: hi… I can not re-install smi-s agent on server windows 2003, I`ve been search the registry but still...
- sindhu: hello sir,i am doing my b.tech 3rd year (e.c.e) i am intrested in doing this tsm course .is this course will...
- CR7: Hi EIAD, I couldnt figure out where to post this doubt of mine, so im just posting it here.Please help out if...
- Errol: I’m using a clean install of windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with the latest build of Thinapp 5.1.0-2079447....
- arun: Is that tsm is growing and good field
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Should Virtual Tape Library have a place in your backup strategy?
- Tivoli TSM guide to securing VMware: IBM Tivoli Storage Manager & VMware Consiledated Backup (VCB) I hope these...
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: TSM
- Should Virtual Tape Library have a place in your backup strategy?
- Symantec Backup Exec StarWind Virtual Tape Library Integration
- Comparing Online Backup Services
- Veeam & PHD Virtual comparison
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager support for VADP
- StarWind is Named a Finalist in The Storage Awards 2012
- PHD Virtual Monitor Review
- vSphere manual Disaster Recovery failback when using VMware SRM
- Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN