If you have a boot from SAN server, you will be able to easily clone it for a backup or deployment purpose using the native DS8000 FlashCopy. As mentioned earlier FlashCopy is an optional feature for the DS8000, which means it will require an additional license to enable. The SAN administrator can initiate a FlashCopy of Boot from SAN Disk using the DS8000 Storage Manager GUI or using the DSCLI.
Creating a FlashCopy on the DS8000 can be as easy as running the following command on DS8000 DSCLI, where 6100 is the source LUN & 6101 is the target LUN.
mkflash -seqnum 01 6100:6101
After creating a FlashCopy of a certain LUN in case you need to restore the server to its original state all you have to do is shutdown the server (shutdown will be required if it’s the boot LUN only) & Map the FlashCopy Target LUN in the place of the FlashCopy Source LUN.
In case you are using FlashCopy for OS deployment, you will just map the FlashCopy Target to the new server. Then power up the servers, which will boot up using the new cloned LUNs. If you are using FlashCopy for OS deployment for windows machines, you would need to use a utility like newsid or sysprep to generate a new security ID for each server in your environment after the FlashCopy operation has been completed.
2 Responses to '8.1. IBM DS8000 Boot from SAN Operating System Cloning'
Leave a Reply
Eiad Al-Aqqad, VCDX#89
VMware Canada PSO
- Backup Solutions (3)
- Blades (2)
- IBM Blades (2)
- Data Migration (2)
- EMC (1)
- VPLEX (1)
- How to (1)
- Management Software (5)
- Problem resolutions (0)
- Storage (21)
- Tips & Tricks (7)
- Tivoli (22)
- Tutorials (11)
- VMware (6)
- Iwan: hi… I can not re-install smi-s agent on server windows 2003, I`ve been search the registry but still...
- sindhu: hello sir,i am doing my b.tech 3rd year (e.c.e) i am intrested in doing this tsm course .is this course will...
- CR7: Hi EIAD, I couldnt figure out where to post this doubt of mine, so im just posting it here.Please help out if...
- Errol: I’m using a clean install of windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with the latest build of Thinapp 5.1.0-2079447....
- arun: Is that tsm is growing and good field
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Should Virtual Tape Library have a place in your backup strategy?
- Tivoli TSM guide to securing VMware: IBM Tivoli Storage Manager & VMware Consiledated Backup (VCB) I hope these...
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: TSM
- Should Virtual Tape Library have a place in your backup strategy?
- Symantec Backup Exec StarWind Virtual Tape Library Integration
- Comparing Online Backup Services
- Veeam & PHD Virtual comparison
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager support for VADP
- StarWind is Named a Finalist in The Storage Awards 2012
- PHD Virtual Monitor Review
- vSphere manual Disaster Recovery failback when using VMware SRM
- Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN