The minimum IBM TotalStorage support for Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy and Virtual Disk Service (VDS) supported by IBM Tivoli Flash Copy Manager is Version 4.0.1. You can obtain the latest IBM DS8000 VDS form IBM Website at:
IBM DS8000 VDS is required in order for IBM Tivoli FCM to be able to utilize the DS8000 FlashCopy feature as a hardware provider for its shadow services. If you don’t install IBM DS8000 VDS, then IBM Tivoli FCM will use the default Windows System Provider which has many limitations. The steps below illustrate the steps required to install IBM DS8000 VDS on Windows 2003 SP2.
1- If you plan on using the IBM TotalStorage Support for Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service with dynamic volumes, please contact Microsoft and obtain hotfix 949391, 940349, & 932532. (Recommended to update your patch to SP2)
2- Download the latest supported IBM DS8000 VDS form IBM Website at:
Currently the latest supported IBM DS8000 VDS is version 4.0.1
3- Extract the downloaded IBM DS8000 VDS to a certain folder for example C:\IBMVDS
4- Double click the IBM DS8000 VDS installer IBMVSSVDS.exe to start the installation process.
5- When the IBM DS8000 VDS Installation Wizard hit Next to proceed with the installation.
6- Accept the License Agreement & Hit Next
7- Choose the installation directory & hit Next
8- Hit Install to start the installation process.
9- Fill your CIM information as follow:
CIM Server Address: insert the address of your CIM Agent including the used port. The default ports for CIM Agent running on HMC is 6989 for https communication (CIM Agent running on HMC only support secure communication). The default ports for CIM Server running on Windows will be 5989 for https communication & 5988 for http communication. Depend on how you setup your CIM agent earlier you will need to use the address of it and its correspondent port.
CIM User: This is the user you have setup while you were configuring CIM Agent. The default user for CIM running on HMC is superuser.
CIM Password: This is the password you have setup for the CIM user while you were configuring CIM Agent. The default superuser password for CIM running on HMC is passw0rd.
The figure below show a sample CIM Agent configuration details for CIM running on the DS8000 HMC, which is the case in our test environment.
10- Use Ibmvcfg & Vssadmin to verify your VDS installation.
a. From your IBM DS8100 VDS Directory (by default: “c:\Program Files\IBM\Hardware Provider for VSS-VDS”) run:
c:\Program Files\IBM\Hardware Provider for VSS-VDS\Ibmvcfg listvols
If IBM DS8100 VDS has been setup correctly, this command should return with the volumes existing on your DS8000.
b. At the command prompt run:
Vssadmin List Writers
Ensure that SQLServerWriter is listed as shown in the image below.
c. At the command prompt run:
Vssadmin List Providers
Ensure that IBM System Storage Volume Shadow Copy Service Hardware
Provider is listed as shown below.
Leave a Reply
Eiad Al-Aqqad, VCDX#89
VMware Canada PSO
- Backup Solutions (3)
- Blades (2)
- IBM Blades (2)
- Data Migration (2)
- EMC (1)
- VPLEX (1)
- How to (1)
- Management Software (5)
- Problem resolutions (0)
- Storage (21)
- Tips & Tricks (7)
- Tivoli (22)
- Tutorials (11)
- VMware (6)
- Iwan: hi… I can not re-install smi-s agent on server windows 2003, I`ve been search the registry but still...
- sindhu: hello sir,i am doing my b.tech 3rd year (e.c.e) i am intrested in doing this tsm course .is this course will...
- CR7: Hi EIAD, I couldnt figure out where to post this doubt of mine, so im just posting it here.Please help out if...
- Errol: I’m using a clean install of windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with the latest build of Thinapp 5.1.0-2079447....
- arun: Is that tsm is growing and good field
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Should Virtual Tape Library have a place in your backup strategy?
- Tivoli TSM guide to securing VMware: IBM Tivoli Storage Manager & VMware Consiledated Backup (VCB) I hope these...
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: TSM
- Should Virtual Tape Library have a place in your backup strategy?
- Symantec Backup Exec StarWind Virtual Tape Library Integration
- Comparing Online Backup Services
- Veeam & PHD Virtual comparison
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager support for VADP
- StarWind is Named a Finalist in The Storage Awards 2012
- PHD Virtual Monitor Review
- vSphere manual Disaster Recovery failback when using VMware SRM
- Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN