Beginning with DS8000 Release 2.4, the CIM Agent is pre-installed on the hardware management console (HMC). This section includes an overview of the setup process and instructions for enabling and configuring the CIM agent on the DS8000 HMC. The DS8000 can be managed either by the CIM agent that is bundled with the HMC or with a separately installed CIM agent. The HMC CIM agent has the following limitations:
- The CIM agent is initially disabled on the HMC and must be enabled through the WebSM management console before it can be used.
- The HMC CIM agent can only support DS8000 devices that are managed by that HMC. This CIM agent is not able to manage any ESS 800 or DS6000 devices, or any DS8000 devices that are managed by a different HMC.
- The HMC CIM agent must use secure connections over port 6989.
- The configuration is performed remotely. Therefore, you must download and install the dscimcli utility on an additional machine.
_Installation overview for HMC
This section provides an overview of the installation and configuration of the CIM agent on the HMC. Perform the following list of installation and configuration tasks:
1. Before you enable the CIM agent on the HMC, verify the hardware and software requirements.
2. Download and install the dscimcli utility.
3. Enable the CIM agent using the HMC graphical user interface.
4. Configure the CIM agent for HMC. If you add more than one DS device, repeat this step for each device.
5. Set up the user environment. After installation is complete, you must issue two export commands to allow the administrator to perform CIM agent management commands.
6. Verify the connection to your storage unit.
_ Installing & configuring the DSCIMCLI Utility:
This section includes the steps to install and configure the dscimcli utility. The dscimcli utility, which configures the CIM agent, is available from the DS CIM agent Web site as part of the DS CIM agent installation bundle, and also as a separate installation bundle. In order to configure and manage a CIM agent that is running on a DS8000 HMC, you must download and install the dscimcli utility on a separate server, for example the server that is running your client application like TPC or your laptop.
dscimcli is a small utility that runs on the same platforms that the proxy CIM agent runs on, but does not consume nearly as much memory or CPU as the full CIM agent installation. So the separate dscimcli installation bundle should be able to run on any reasonable server or laptop. To install from the separate bundle, perform these steps:
1. Download and extract the dscimcli.zip file onto your hard drive to C:\DSCIMCLI
2. Set your DSAGENT_HOME & PEGASUS_HOME environment variable to the W2003 directory under where you have extracted the dscimcli, run the following command from the cmd prompt:
Or you can set thess environment variables using the Windows GUI interface:
Right Click My Computer => Properties => Advanced Tab => Enviornment Variables => System Variable => New
Fill the System environment variables as shown in Figure 3-1
_ Enabling the CIM agent on the IBM DS8000 Hardware Management Console (HMC) :
This section includes the steps to enable the CIM agent on the HMC. Perform the following steps to enable the HMC CIM agent:
- From the HMC Welcome page, click HMC Management. The HMC Management window is displayed.
2. Click Start/Stop CIM Agent. The HMC CIM Agent window is displayed with the current state of the CIM agent.
3. Select Start CIM Agent and click Apply. The CIM agent is started and the state is updated.
_Configuring the CIM agent for HMC :
This section provides the steps to configure storage units and user accounts for the CIM agent after it has been successfully enabled. Perform the following steps to configure the storage unit and user accounts for the CIM agent:
1. Verify that the HMC is managing the DS8000 system that you want to add to the CIM agent.
2. Type the following command (all on one line) to configure the CIM agent for the DS8000 server that the CIM agent can access as shown in figure 3-4 for a storage with HMC IP of 192.168.1.10:
dscimcli -s https://hmc ip:6989 mkdev hmc ip -type ds [ -ip2 hmc2 ip ] -user user -password password
where: hmc ip is the IP address of the HMC.
hmc2 ip is the IP address of the secondary HMC (optional).
user is the user name that is used to log into the storage manager on the HMC. password is the password that is used to log into the storage manager on the HMC.
_Verifying the CIM agent connection:
Verify the CIM agent configuration and connectivity by issuing the following command:
dscimcli -s https://<hmc>:6989 lsdev -1
The following is an example of the output:
If the status is failed, there was a failure when the CIM agent attempted to communicate with the storage device. If the CIM agent was unable to communicate during mkdev, an error is returned immediately. If the device shows as failed in lsdev -l, it is likely that you added the device earlier and the communication is now failed. To ensure that your storage device’s management interface is functioning, use DSCLI or DS Storage Manager to attempt to log into the device. If you are unable to connect via DSCLI or DS Storage Manager, there is likely an error in the storage device. If you are able to connect via the native interfaces, there is likely an error in the CIM agent. Contact your service representative for assistance.
One Response to '3.3. DS8000 CIM Agent For HMC Enablement & Configuration:'
Leave a Reply
Eiad Al-Aqqad, VCDX#89
VMware Canada PSO
- Backup Solutions (3)
- Blades (2)
- IBM Blades (2)
- Data Migration (2)
- EMC (1)
- VPLEX (1)
- How to (1)
- Management Software (5)
- Problem resolutions (0)
- Storage (21)
- Tips & Tricks (7)
- Tivoli (22)
- Tutorials (11)
- VMware (6)
- Iwan: hi… I can not re-install smi-s agent on server windows 2003, I`ve been search the registry but still...
- sindhu: hello sir,i am doing my b.tech 3rd year (e.c.e) i am intrested in doing this tsm course .is this course will...
- CR7: Hi EIAD, I couldnt figure out where to post this doubt of mine, so im just posting it here.Please help out if...
- Errol: I’m using a clean install of windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with the latest build of Thinapp 5.1.0-2079447....
- arun: Is that tsm is growing and good field
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Should Virtual Tape Library have a place in your backup strategy?
- Tivoli TSM guide to securing VMware: IBM Tivoli Storage Manager & VMware Consiledated Backup (VCB) I hope these...
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: TSM
- Should Virtual Tape Library have a place in your backup strategy?
- Symantec Backup Exec StarWind Virtual Tape Library Integration
- Comparing Online Backup Services
- Veeam & PHD Virtual comparison
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager support for VADP
- StarWind is Named a Finalist in The Storage Awards 2012
- PHD Virtual Monitor Review
- vSphere manual Disaster Recovery failback when using VMware SRM
- Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN