After using IBM Systems Director 6.1 for a month or so, customers seems to always hit a funny error “ATKCOR031E An unknown error has occurred”. This error tear up IBM Systems Director 6.1 unusable. This error seems to come up when discovering many items usually 500 or more, which cause IBM Director to stuck & force you to reboot the machine. After the reboot you start IBM Director web console & get hammered with the error on the web console.
The only work around I have been able to find on the net so far was to do an smreset to IBM Director. The problem with this its a destructive procedure and will get you to lose your configuration & the data in your IBM Director Database. Below is a solution I have came up with that will eliminate the need for SMreset.
As a start this issue has been resolved in IBM Director 6.1.2, though what many other posters has missed even IBMers that you can update IBM Director 6.1 to 6.1.2 even without the IBM Director Web Console being functional using command line & with zero data loss. Below are the step by step procedure.
1- Of course the first step is to take a backup of your current IBM Director 6.1. Hopefully you will note need to use it but its always a good idea. You take a backup of your IBM Director using the following command: smsave
Note: SMSave is usually found in the IBM Director install_root\bin directory
2- Download The IBM Director 6.1.2 Installation & Update CD. The download package name is “SysDir6_1_2_Server_Inst_Upd_Windows_a.zip” & it can be downloaded by visiting: http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/software/director/downloads/mgmtservers.html
Then hit “Select a platform and download IBM Systems Director Server 6.1.2″, then login with your account, agree to the license agreement then download
Note: Make sure you download the full installation & update package not just the update package as the stand alone update package which found at: http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/ can’t be applied from the command line.
3- Extract the SysDir6_1_2_Server_Inst_Upd_Windows_a.zip package to a folder on your machine ex: c:\sysdirupdate
4- Under the directory you extracted the system director 6.1.2 update go to the bin directory and run installds.bat -u (ex: c:\sysdirupdate\bin\installds.bat -u)
Please note step four can take up to 60 minutes, so be patient & don’t stop it even if it look not doing anything for a while.
After the update is completed, you can enjoy the new stable version of IBM Director 6.1.2 without losing your data. I hope that help & please leave your result & suggestion in the comment area below.
Note: 6.1.2 seems not to resolve the above issue for everyone, as some people have still reported the same problem after the upgrade. As IBM Systems Directory 6.2 has been announced few week backs & seems to resolve the above problem & more stable than previous releases, you shall consider upgrading to IBM Systems Director 6.2.
13 Responses to 'IBM Systems Director 6.1 becomes unusable with ATKCOR031E An unknown error has occurred'
Leave a Reply
Eiad Al-Aqqad, VCDX#89
VMware Canada PSO
- Backup Solutions (3)
- Blades (2)
- IBM Blades (2)
- Data Migration (2)
- EMC (1)
- VPLEX (1)
- How to (1)
- Management Software (5)
- Problem resolutions (0)
- Storage (21)
- Tips & Tricks (7)
- Tivoli (22)
- Tutorials (11)
- VMware (6)
- Iwan: hi… I can not re-install smi-s agent on server windows 2003, I`ve been search the registry but still...
- sindhu: hello sir,i am doing my b.tech 3rd year (e.c.e) i am intrested in doing this tsm course .is this course will...
- CR7: Hi EIAD, I couldnt figure out where to post this doubt of mine, so im just posting it here.Please help out if...
- Errol: I’m using a clean install of windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with the latest build of Thinapp 5.1.0-2079447....
- arun: Is that tsm is growing and good field
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Should Virtual Tape Library have a place in your backup strategy?
- Tivoli TSM guide to securing VMware: IBM Tivoli Storage Manager & VMware Consiledated Backup (VCB) I hope these...
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN
- TSM – IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru Blog: TSM
- Should Virtual Tape Library have a place in your backup strategy?
- Symantec Backup Exec StarWind Virtual Tape Library Integration
- Comparing Online Backup Services
- Veeam & PHD Virtual comparison
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager support for VADP
- StarWind is Named a Finalist in The Storage Awards 2012
- PHD Virtual Monitor Review
- vSphere manual Disaster Recovery failback when using VMware SRM
- Migrating Exchange 2007/2003 Cluster to a new SAN
- Microsoft SQL Cluster Data Migration to a new SAN